The Charles Bridge connects the Old Town with Lesser Town in Prague. Construction started in 1357 and was supervised by Peter Parler (1330-1399). The Charles Bridge, named after King Charles, was 502 meters long. Until 1683, there was no statue on the bridge. The statue of St. John of Nepomuk was the first one placed on the Charles Bridge, resulting in the total of about 30 sculptures presently decorating the Charles Bridge. On the Lesser Town end of the Charles Bridge are two bridge towers.